Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How to get Baseball rookie cards cheap!

The idea of the baseball rookie card has been the only constant in the world of baseball cards for the last 10 years. In the world of flashy overrated expensive bat, autograph, pants, and patch cards, the rookie card has been the only thing that has remained on the upswing. I'm going to share with you some of the secrets that have helped me to build my collection.
Nail down what you will be collecting
Personally I decided to collect 1975 to 1995 rookies, all graded 9 by one of the 3 major grading gepanies. What I mean by this is PSA, BGS, SGC, and the occasional BCCG, which is an offspring of BGS. I came down to the 1975 to 1995 range due to the relative ease of cards in this range in the 9 grade, but stopped at 1995 due to the millions of rookies, mostly serial numbered, produced after this year. I picked the 9 grade due to the impossibility of being able to tell a 9 from a 10.
Use the beckett what's hot listing
The beckett website has an area that lists all the baseball cards that are currently on fire. Obviously it should gee as no surprise that you don't want to be buying the cards that are hot. I consider cards to be like the stock market. I buy when the card is down, and if the card get's really high, I sell it and buy back later at a lower price once again.
Search words
Think about the players that you are looking for, the card, and other discriminating factors. Take for instance a 1985 Topps Mark McGwire. I would begin by searching with the words "Mgwire, Big Mac, etc." You would be amazed by the hits you will get. Also when you look for cards this way, check out the categories that they are listed in. If a McGwire is listed in the 1970-1980 rookies category, chances are that most people will not be looking at this card, so the chances of getting it cheaper are pretty good. I also like to do a search under the Baseball category for "9" or "graded". You will sometimes find that you will gee up with cards that are listed wrong. These are only a few of the secrets that I use, but play around and do some hard thinking, I'm sure you will gee up with a few of your own! If I gave all of them to you, I'd be bidding against you!
Get rid of the junk
In my okay ventures, I sometimes gee up with a plethra of rookie, graded, game used cards, etc., that I have from buying a lot that has one card that I need. Sometimes you can lump all this stuff together, take some good pictures highlighting the better cards, slap it on a featured listing, and make a killing. Then use this money to buy more of the cards you need!

MOST IMPORTANT-When does the auction end?
Think about people in general. When you do we have the most time on our hands? The weekend, usually at night. Due to this fact, I list all of the auctionsI have to begin on Saturday night, and end on a Saturday night. This way you getexposure onSaturday and Sunday, and it end whenmost people canbegin a bidding war on your item. This same theory holds true for items you are watching. If an itemends at midnight on a Tuesday night, it is unlikely thatthe same people will be able to bid on an item that would bid on it on a Saturday night. So you don't want to stay up allnight?The auctionsniper websitewill do it for you, for 25 cents an auction! If you can get a $200 rookie for $5.50, Ithink it's worth it!

I hope that this guide to buying rookie cardshas helped you, and I wish you the best of luck on your future purchases!

No comments:

Post a Comment