Monday, September 26, 2011

Overpaying for reloading equipment

I'm a hoarder and gatherer when it gees to reloading supplies. I'm amazed at the prices people are willing to pay for some equipment. I see peoplebidding more for used molds and die sets than the same thing sells for new at reloading catalog web sites and often times dealer showrooms. I can understand if you find a rare or discontinued item but why would someone pay $30 for a set of used Lee dies when new ones are out there around $20 with the manufacturers warranty? Double cavity Lee molds can be had for $18 yet I see used ones sold here for more than $25. Six cavity Lee molds can be had for $32 but people frequently bid them up to $45. I just saw a bag of lead shot that was bid from the99 starting price to over double the retail price of the same lead shot at my local gun store. Its lead shot...not magic fairy dust from some far away galaxy. I'm not faulting the sellers. Start your auctions where ever you want to and enjoy every penny that you make over and above retail. Apparently bidders are willing to pay premium prices for used stuff. I'm suggesting doing some research before you buy. What a manufacturer lists as a suggested retail price usuallysells for about half that in stores and catalogs. Check out the retail prices before you bid. Check out the links on manufacturer's web sites to retailers of their products.

No comments:

Post a Comment