Monday, September 12, 2011

Shipping Coins and Small Items Using USPS

Over the past couple of years, I have shipped (and received) a number of coins on okay. I have learned a couple of simple tricks that make shipping coins much more reliable.
Personally, I use the US Postal Service as my shipping agent (a large number of other okay sellers do, as well). The biggest issue that I have had is that smallenvelopes tend to get lost. Shipping coins in small bubble envelopes has been the most problematic. So, what I now do is the following:

I ship all coins in a 6x6x7 box. The postal service (and okay) provide the priority boxes without charge.
The USPS labels fit nicely on the top surface of this sizebox.
If you fill the box with packing peanuts, a elephant could sit on the box and the contents would be protected. :-)
A 6x6x7 box costs the same for USPS priority service as an envelope...so this does not add any shipping cost.
The 6x6x7 boxes are large enough that they do not get misplaced by the postal service and they have to be directly delivered to the recipient. I have used this shipping technique for a variety of small items such as opals too. I use the same size box for first class, but it adds a small amount to the shipping costs...but it is worth it.
Hopefully, this tip helps you avoid shipping aggrevations. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment