Sunday, September 11, 2011

I got the Blues, Now I need a Harp!

Selling and playing harmonicas for all these
years, the 3 most gemon questions I get are: what harmonica(s) should I
get, why and how do I learn to play by tomorrow? Let us just talk about
the harmonica here and you can see my other guides for ChoosingHarmonica Instructions ,Types of Harmonicas What do you mean...you want me to bend my harmonica, and more.The
most gemon type of Harmonica is the 10 hole Diatonic harmonica. It has
10 holes and 20 reeds. 1 reed for each blow and draw note. There are a
number of different brands to choose from.Hohner, are the best know and have been around the longest, Suzuki (musical instruments, not bikes) makes some very nice harmonicas, Lee Oskar, and of course theMerano Blues Harp
! (since this is not a gemercial I will not brag about selling over
8,000 a year) There are harps more expensive and harps less expensive.


Now the meat and potatoes (don't eat while you play). What type, brand and key(s) should I get? The type to start with is the Diatonic, and the vast majority of harmonica
instructions use the key of C to teach with. SO BUY A C HARP! If you want more than one try A C and G. Or A, Bb, C, D, F and G.
Drum roll please! NOW THE BRAND! This is the way I feel about my harps.
The harmonica is very different than most instruments. Let's face
it...the piano, guitar, banjo, violin, cello, drums and even the Suzuki
Qchord would look, feel and sound very odd if you put it in your mouth!
This makes your harp very special. I am pretty selective
when I put...maybe I will skip a head a little, but you get the drift, right!
Everyone has an opinion. There are a lot of brands. It's so confusing.
$45 (Lee Oskar) $30 (Hohner Blues Harp) $25 (Suzuki Blues Master) $18
(Hering Blues) $8 (Merano Blues) $.77 (Johnson). Just to name a few.
While I have a very close relationship with my Merano Blues Harps (made
for Harmonica Haven and Fsihlips3), I play and sell many brands. Why? Because choosing
a harmonica is a never ending personal quest for just the perfect sound,
feel, bend, cup and price.
Is an $8 harp as good as a $45 harp? NO! It is up to you to decide if
the $37 difference is worth it as a beginning player? When I had my
first marine reef aquarium, I bought some of the coolest (expensive)
fish and corals...they died...I cried (got the Blues) and when out and
got hardy, durable fish that would last a while and not kill my wallet.

Start simple and easy, lower your frustration levels. Have fun! That is what it is all about.
Thanks for listening to my rant!
Remember:
You ain't had the Blues until you've had Fishlips3!
DV

No comments:

Post a Comment