Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Mudman Plus Too

I was recently asked why I feel as I do on dating mudmen. I'm not a writer, as you can see from my Mudman Plus article, but I try,so bare with me. I grew up in the old Panama Canal Zone, early fifties to mid-sixties. Panama City was across the border with all these wonderful shops filled with items from around the world. Asian items in particular. My dear Aunt took great advantage of this to form her wonderful collection of mudmen.She bought new, and they were marked CHINA. Only CHINA. Military there (and worldwide) and travelers alike have brought thousands of mudmen to our country. When a friend sees my collection they often ge- ment on some relative receiving one as a gift from someone overseas. They were dirt cheap, small, easy to carry or mail, and always appreciated. There is something endearing about them. Wonderful for that aquarium , or my aunt's wall shelf. India and China were not ones to follow the export/import laws on dating and marking goods. As a mudman collector I imagine that you go to flea markets and antique stores.Ever notice some tiny brass shoes that are ashtrays? The pointed ones said INDIA, and the rounded toe was marked CHINA. No MADE IN.. These gee from the forties and fifties. Everyone smoked. Plus it was cheap, easy to carry, etc. No way are they antique,vintage yes! Buying or selling one prefers to have an antique. There are antique ones out there, but very few.I find nothing wrong with the vintage. I am near sixty, and have loved mudmen since I was about sixteen. I've seen about two dozen with the Chinese script inside.And maybe three dozen unmarked antique ones over time. They do exist. One other issue or beef. The hands, legs, and facedo have a glaze. It's a soft, thin satin finish gepared to the heavy glossy overall glaze. Look at your mudmen closely .. it's there. It is a wonderful protective coating. They would be dirty and stained if not for this glaze. And yet most consider these areas to be unglazed. Sadlywith every earthquake, flood, hurricane,or fire there are fewer mudmen. Last.... beware of reproductions. Good hunting to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment