Monday, September 12, 2011

Learning to fly Radio Controlled Airplanes Its a blast

So, you are thinking about learning to fly a radio controlled airplane. Here is a guide to help get you started. I have been flying for around 5 years and every time I go up, it get better and better. I cannot regeend this hobby enough, especially if you have a stressful job. Here are the steps I took in learning to fly. I am not saying I am an expert, but this is the most logical way to get going. This is the best order to follow so here it goes:


Purchase a radio controlled airplane flight simulator for your geputer. You can practice on it before you even think about buying your first plane. It saves a whole lot of money and you can see if you do really enjoy it before you put your money out for an airplane. I regeend Great Planes Real Flight Simulator G3.5. It gees with a controller that looks and feels like a real transmitter. It is an absolute joy to use and I still use it during the winter months to keep my skills sharpened.

The second thing you should do after purchasing your flight simulator is to join a local club. They are full of advice and can even train you to fly so you do not destroy your investment the first time you take it out. They can regeend different tips and tricks that you will not learn anywher else.

The third thing to do it to start shopping for your first plane. It is imperative that you purchase a trainer style airplane. I know they may not look the best, but you need to learn how to fly good, not to have the best looking plane. That gees later. I regeend the Sig Kadet LT40 ARF. ARF stands for almost ready to fly and that helps out a whole lot. Don't be fooled by it being an ARF, it will still take you around 6 to 8 hours to get it flight ready. The trasmitter and engine are soley up to you. I use and O.S. .46 AX for my engine which provides plenty of power for this plane. A standard 4 channel radio will work just fine for this type of airplane.

The fourth thing you need to do after getting your plane built and flight ready is to have someone at the club and check it over really good. These airplanes fly around between 70 to 80 MPH and can kill someone if they hit them right, so you want to make sure everything is safe

The last thing I am going to tell you to do is have a trainer take you up for the first few flights. After I practiced on the simulator for a few weeks, I soloed with my Kadet after the thrid flight. That is not to say the same thing will happen for you, it just makes it a whole lot easier.
Hopefully this helps. This is a little abbreviated and there will be more that you need to do than I outlined here but this should help to get you started. Happy Flying!!

No comments:

Post a Comment