Saturday, July 18, 2009

WHAT TO DO WITH OLD PEOPLE - THE ELDERLY STUBBORN PARENTS!!

Sorry to vent on you guys! I'm sure there are other people going through what I am. My dad has Altzheimer's and drives, but he forgot how to get out of his own driveway. My mom can't drive at all, so not an option. Yesterday my dad took my 17 year old daughter to Frisch's. He plowed through a gaurdrail into a ditch over Tiffany asking what to do with his toothpicks. My senile dad thinks it's her fault. I have tried so many times talking to my mom about his driving being dangerous. She insist he just needs to be guided with where to turn. I get nowhere. It's one of those things that older people don't deal with well, loss of their ability to live and do as they wish. My mom calls me in tears, completely shocked when the police gave them a ride home. She just couldn't believe the van was totaled. I wasn't surprised at all and said so. She refuses to listen! My parents want to buy another new van. Are you serious!! I thought once my dad wrecked the van this driving issue would be solved. I think my mom is being completely self centered. My dad is not competent to make any decision about driving, but she is. I went to the impound lot after hearing about this. A sideswipe I can understand. What I find completely unacceptable is this is a complete front end smash. I e-mailed her the pictures. They still want a new van!! The first story was 'hit a fence'. My daughter is calmer today and said it wasn't a fence, it's a smashed gaurdrail on an expressway entrance that landed them in a ditch. I don't have pictures of the gaurdrail yet to get it through her head that this shouldn't happen. Any advice on dealing with your stubbor elderly parents?



Orignal From: WHAT TO DO WITH OLD PEOPLE - THE ELDERLY STUBBORN PARENTS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment